Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson Reaction: Madonna, Lisa Marie Presley, More Lupe Fiasco, JC Chasez, Wale and Pete Wentz also pay tribute to the late pop star.

Michael Jackson Reaction: Madonna, Lisa Marie Presley, More Lupe Fiasco, JC Chasez, Wale and Pete Wentz also pay tribute to the late pop star.

In the wake of legendary pop star Michael Jackson's death Thursday (June 25), musicians, actors and celebrities — including Jackson's ex-wife Lisa Marie Presley — have began to remember Jackson for all his contributions to pop culture.

"I am so very sad and confused with every emotion possible. I am heartbroken for his children, who I know were everything to him, and for his family," Presley told MTV News in a statement. "This is such a massive loss on so many levels. Words fail me."

"I can't stop crying over the sad news," Madonna told People. "I have always admired Michael Jackson. The world has lost one of the greats, but his music will live on forever! My heart goes out to his three children and other members of his family. God bless."

JC Chasez, who performed alongside Jackson with 'NSYNC at the 2001 VMAs, said, "Words can't begin to describe my sadness for the loss of Michael Jackson. I was honored and humbled to have the opportunity to perform with him several times, and he had a profound influence on my career. Michael forever changed the world of music and entertainment, and I will always remember him for his kind and sweet spirit."

"I'm hurt," Lupe Fiasco told MTV News in a statement. "But I'm celebrating his life and his music. Dancing and crying and dancing in public. Holding heart-to-heart conversations with complete strangers about one of the things, if not the only thing, we share in common, That Is The Legendary MoonWalker Himself. A white guy in a pickup truck pulled alongside me on the expressway and shouted to me, had I heard about Mike?!? It's surreal and it's everywhere!!! Every time I feel like getting sad, one of his songs comes on, and I'm just filled with happiness and start singing and smiling. He was the best to ever do it. Salaams, Peace & Blessings. May Allah have mercy on his soul. We Love You MJ!!!"

Other members of the hip-hop community are also reacting to the news. "I am f---ed up right now about this," Wale said. "He WAS the '80s, the '90s. He is arguably the most famous person of the last century, more so than any religious or cultural leaders. He was the originator of music for the world. I always thought I'd meet him one day. ... I'm at a loss of words."

Although he tweeted earlier about the Jackson's death, Pete Wentz also shared with MTV News his feeling of loss. "There will never be another. He was the royalty of American culture. I could measure the growth of my life based on him. I have never felt such public grief for someone I have never met. A legend. I practiced his moves in the mirror. ... We lost the last legendary entertainer of my generation. I feel lost without his presence. Sorry if this is kind of jumbled and emotional. I don't even know what to say."

No comments: